June 12- 14, 2017
The Pilina Program: Connecting teachers with ‘aina-based resources and opportunities to enhance learning and engage students.
The Big Island Invasive Species Committee (BIISC) is partnering with the Hawai’i Environmental Education Alliance (HEEA) and the Hawaii State Teachers Association (HSTA) to offer a series of workshops for educators interested in integrating hands-on, experiential, place based environmental education into their classroom lessons. All environmental education themes are standards-based and will be aligned to HCPS III science standards and/or CCSS and NGSS. Teachers will receive training, materials and resources from several distinct curricula, presented by representatives of HEEA and community partners.
This 3-day, 3-credit PDE3 course will bring together teachers, environmental educators, and natural resource professionals. The course materials will focus on lessons appropriate for 4-10, but teachers at all grade levels are welcome to participate, and will learn how to modify lessons to fit to grade level. Standards covered will include science, ELA, math and social studies.
- 3 HIDOE PDE3 Credits
- Connect with a network of community partners: BIISC, Hawaii Project Learning Tree, Imi Pono No Ka ‘Aina, Teaching Change,Division of Forestry and Wildlife – NARS, Mauna Kea Watershed Alliance, Mokupapapa Discovery Center, PREL
- Gain valuable field experiences
- Model activities
- Receive classroom resources (posters, assessment tools, curricula, etc.)
- Opportunities for field trip funding
- Funding available to purchase classroom supplies to implement lessons
- Build Collaborative Learning Communities
- Receive support for reflection and portfolio development
- Morning snacks and a healthy, locally prepared lunch
East Side Workshop Sessions (must attend all three days to earn credit): Hilo-Pahoa-Volcano
Registration: Register on HSTA website.
Space is limited. #PD181820 . Non-HSTA teachers: please contact Franny Brewer at email@example.com.
Cost: $150. Tuition assistance may be available – email Franny for information!