BIISC Demonstrates Treating Young Albizia Trees with Herbicide
Notification of Hazard Trees
Please see our Albizia FAQs page for more detailed information on the recommended approach to notifying landowners of hazardous trees.
- Hazardous albizia letter template (English) – notify a property owner of hazardous albizia on their property.
- Hazardous albizia letter template (Japanese). At the top, add the property address and TMK for the property with the albizia hazard. The letter includes information about the problem of albizia, the state and county laws, and owner liability. Put your contact info in the spaces toward the bottom of the letter. Be sure to include a photo of the hazard tree (the letter references an enclosed photo). It would also be helpful to include quotes from arborists.
- Hawaii County Tax Map Key (TMK) Look-Up — Find the property in question, click on it, and related info will appear in a sidebar to the right, including the TMK number. You can click on the “Print” icon in just above the map, and it will generate a one page report that shows the parcel on the map, the name and address and TMK below. You can print or save it as a .pdf to include in your communications to the neighbor.
- State of Hawaii Statute on Hazard Mitigation on Private Property (“Act 76”)
- 2015 HELCO-commissioned Albizia Emergency Tree Mitigation & Management Plan
- AppendixAlbizia151120 SSFM
- Annual Albizia Progress Report 2017
Community Albizia Control Teams (Albizia Assassins)
- Templates for gaining permission for entry to private lots to treat non-hazard albizia:
Albizia Management and Herbicide Information
- Albizia control guide from UH College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources
- Rural Development Loans & Grants site: Please contact the USDA Rural Development office in Hilo for more information on requirements for eligibility.