Invasive Species Field Crew Leader
- Crew: Invasive Plant Eradication
- Application deadline: February 23, 2023
We are looking for an individual with good communication skills, some understanding of Hawaiian biota, and the desire to engage in some rugged work protecting Hawaii Island from invasive species threats!
You’ll be leading a team to conduct field operations to target invasive alien species for control or eradication. This is a full-time position. Fieldwork can involve anything from reconnaissance and surveys to mechanical or chemical removal, and often you will be working in rough terrain- rain or shine – so a good attitude is a must! Fieldwork requires the ability to drive project vehicles both on and off-road, work in and around helicopters, and handle pesticides. Oversees the collection of accurate and detailed records of treatment and control work. Able to use a Global Positioning System (GPS) and download GPS units. Inputs and updates data and produces maps and other materials to guide daily field activities.
- This job requires the willingness and ability to drive project vehicles both on and off-road, work in and around helicopters, camp for up for to 4 nights at a time, and handle pesticides. (Training will be provided in each area).
- You will receive paid sick time, vacation, and holidays. As an employee of the Research Corp of the University of Hawaii (RCUH), you also be eligible for health benefits and a retirement package.
- The ideal candidate will share our passion for conservation, love of the Big Island community, and commitment to public service.
- High school diploma/GED
- Basic knowledge of field activities relating to natural resource management
- Ability to identify common native Hawaiian plants & common introduced weed species
- Basic proficiency in computer skills
- Experience in field operations and 4WD is a plus, as is experience using handheld GPS and ArcGIS
- Experience and/or academic background in natural resources conservation or agriculture in Hawai’i is desired (Forest TEAM graduates and KUPU alumni are encouraged to apply!)
For more details about duties, requirements, and secondary qualifications, please read the full job description on the RCUH website (If the link doesn’t work, search for job #222841). Pay is $3,750/month with paid holidays, sick time, and benefits. If you have any questions, please contact Jenn Tamaariki at (808) 933-3340.
Please go to www.rcuh.com and click on Job Postings. Search for job #222841. You must submit the following documents online to be considered for the position: 1) Cover Letter, 2) Resume, 3) Supervisory References, 4) Copy of Degree(s)/Transcript(s)/Certificate(s). All online applications must be submitted/received by the closing date (11:59 P.M. Hawai‛i Standard Time/RCUH receipt time) as stated on the job posting.
If you do not have access to our system and the closing date is imminent, you may send additional documents to email@example.com. If you have questions on the application process and/or need assistance, please call (808) 956-8344 or (808) 956-0872.