The Plant Pono program seeks to recognize exemplary businesses who act to protect their nursery, community, and island from the threat of invasive species. The best way to combat invasive species is to not sell or propagate them. Contact Molly Murphy email@example.com (808)345-5958 to endorse your nursery.
Endorsed nurseries on the Big Island agree to:
- Discontinue the sale of 42 documented invasive plant species
- Follow all state and federal laws related to shipping and selling plants
- Allow BIISC to conduct an annual, scheduled nursery visit
- Source plants and planting media locally when feasible
- Promote the use of non-invasive or native plant species over high-risk plants
- When considering introducing a new plant species to the state, nurseries request a free, non-binding assessment from the Hawaii-Pacific Weed Risk Assessment. The HPWRA is a scientific model which predicts a species’ likelihood to become invasive in Hawaii based on the plant’s botany, reproduction, climate suitability, and behavior in similar ecosystems.
Advantages to the Plant Pono Endorsement
- Tailor made, expert pest advice for LFA, coqui and plants
- Signage, stickers, and an electronic decal with the Plant Pono logo
- Promotion of your business on two web sites, at trade shows and educational booths
- A way to show your customers you care while building and maintaining a quality brand for your business.